Torre A Cona
San Donato in Collina, Tuscany
In the heart of Chianti, just 15 km from Florence, is the magnificent estate of Torre A Cona, dominated by the eighteenth-century villa surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. Torre a Cona is one of the most beautiful and sumptuous eighteenth-century villas in central Italy.
The first document attesting the existence of the Quona Castle dates back to 1066 AD. Leveled to the ground, with the exception of the great tower of the twelfth century, it was rebuilt between the twelfth century and end of 1800 as it is now. The Counts Rossi di Montelera have owned the Villa since 1937. During the Second World War the house was first headquarters for the Germans and then in the summer of 1944 it passed to the British, who used it as a hospital. Various works of Michelangelo and Donatello were protected in the cellars of Torre a Cona during the war. The knowledge that these works of art were present saved Torre a Cona from bombing. Over the years the new generations have carried out extraordinary restorations in the vineyards and cellar, and more recently, in the building as a whole, making it one of the loveliest reception structures in the region. The vineyards are planted with the classic typical local varieties, especially Sangiovese, with some Merlot for the monovarietal wine. Niccolò Rossi di Montelera spearheaded the new winemaking project and released the first vintages in 2013. A Piemontese winemaking team (Caviola-Curtaz) oversees all production, delivering Chiantis of ultimate elegance and grace.